Saturday, August 12, 2017

Lyman Township First School

Among those who attended school in the early days of the first school in Lyman Township were the following. (this list is not complete) George P. Lyman, Edmond Havens, John Havens, Albert Havens, Dwight Havens, Robert Forbes, Lyman Peck, Amos Peck, Charles Peck, Gilbert Wyman, Martharetta Wyman, Edward Lyman, Charles Forbes, Helena Forbes, Emily Forbes, Arthur Forbes, Alexander Smith, Bessie Henry, Georgianna Henry, John Lyman.

--Roberts Herald. 24 October 1923

Yackee Blacksmiths in Roberts

A. A. YACKEE RETIRES
At the close of business next Saturday evening the firm of A. A. Yackee & Sons general blacksmiths will quit business and with their close Roberts will lose (as a business man but not as a citizen) a mechanic who has held a leading part in the industrial life of Roberts for the past forty years. A. A. Yackee will retire from actual participation in the work and will let the other fellows do the work while he looks on. The many years of service he has given the community entitles him to a rest. The other partner in the firm, W. H. Yackee, will devote all his time to the work of the firm of the Yackee Brothers, which is increasing too rapidly to permit him longer to divide his energies between the two business places.


--Roberts Herald. 3 March 1920.

Mrs. S. K. Marston

Sixty-four years ago this winter the first school that was taught in what is now Lyman Township was taught in the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. K. Marston, in an up-stairs room. Mrs. Marston was the teacher. Later a school house was built and Mrs. Marston continued to teach in the new quarters. Many years after that, one of her pupils wrote of her, (his letter lies before us as we write) " A good teacher she was too. Patient with some of us who were either too stupid or too dull to make good scholars."
"One of the painful memories which lingers with me is the accident that made a cripple of her life. The snow lay deep on the ground. A horse was brought for her but she had scarcely mounted when she was thrown off and her hip dislocated." (We hope to publish more of this letter later.)


--Roberts Herald. 10 October 1923.

Mastadons in Roberts

A RELIC OF LONG AGO
Last Saturday Henry Kietzman was plowing for his brother John Kietzman on the Robert Hawthorne farm northwest of Roberts when his plow turned over a large tooth of some prehistoric animal, perhaps a mastodon. The tooth is a most perfect specimen. There are seven well developed roots, each about four inches long and from two to three inches across at the base. There are nine crushing surfaces with wide spaces between. Two of these prongs are broken off. One was worn down somewhat from use in eating.
The tooth has a depth from top of crown to end of roots of about seven or eight inches. From back to front it is about seven inches and in width about four inches. It weighs 4 lbs. 6 ounces. The enamel is in excellent state of preservation and the whole tooth has the appearance of not having been in the ground more than a few months whereas it probably has lain in the peat bog of that farm for thousands of years. The fact that it was in peat bog would indicate that it is of comparative recent origin as the peat is the latest land formation here.
Later: O.C. Dilks took the tooth to Chicago yesterday and had it looked over at the Field Museum. They said it is a mastodon tooth and has been in the ground only one or two thousand years.


--Roberts Herald. 5 May 1926

Queen Visits Beset Grove

QUEEN OF ROMANIA VISITS ROBERTS.
Roberts have no claim to aristocrisy. (sic) We never expected to entertain nobility. But last Saturday our township received nobility quite unexpected.
Queen Marie of Romania, traveling in her special train, was billed to pass through Roberts which she did on schedule time but the unexpected happened when the train was stopped at Beset, three mile northeast of Roberts, and members of the party got off the train and a number of photos were taken. Our reception committee taken unawares, was a little late in greeting the queen, but as they never shirk a duty, their greetings followed.


--Roberts Herald. 18 November 1926

Friday, August 11, 2017

1894 Fire

TWENTY-NINE YEARS AGO
(From Chicago Daily Record, Sept. 1, 1894)
DISASTROUS FIRE AT ROBERTS
...
Greater Part of the Business Section of the Village Destroyed.
Special to the Chicago Record.


Roberts, Ill. Aug. 1. -- A fire broke out at about 1 o'clock today which destroyed the greater part of the business portion of this village. Following are the business buildings destroyed: Roberts Exchange bank, A. Buzick grocery store, Archer's barber shop, E. G. Reinhardt's drug store, William P. Landel, hardware and furniture; Mrs. I. McNeish, boots, shoes and harness; T. H. Fencken & Co., building owned by J. P. Smith, groceries and dry goods; John Ortlepp, hardware and furniture; Mrs. F. L. Hanson, millinery; William Hahn, wagon shop; Kolp & Sandsted, blacksmiths; Foster Bros, hardware and furniture. The south side of the business block, including twelve buildings, was entirely wiped out. Loss amounts to about $35,000, partially insured. The fire originated in the rear of W. P. Landel's hardware store, but from what cause is unknown. the entire business portion of the village would have been destroyed but for the efforts of citizens in extinguishing the fire as fast as it caught on the opposite side of the side street.


--Roberts Herald. 22 August 1923.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

E. F. Gullett




--Gibson City Courier.  14 November 1918.  Page 8.

This obituary includes information on the Pettit & Gullett Store. 

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Some Congregational Church History


 
--History of Ford County, Illinois:  From its Earliest Settlement to 1908.  Ernest Arthur Gardner.  1908.
 


--"Memories of Roberts" 1995 Calendar. Roberts Woman's Club.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

J. A. Pettit


--Gibson City Courier.  26 October 1906.  Page 2.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Roberts News



--Paxton Record.  15 August 1872.

Thomas McNish (McNeish) puts up a building on Green Street, opposite Gose & Graham's to be used as a boot and shoe store.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Roberts Exchange Bank

 
 
--Gibson City Courier.  18 November 1915.  Page 6.
 
This article talks about the history of the Roberts Exchange Bank.  It details how the first bank sat where the Seng Implement was located and at that time it faced to the east and was located on Main Street.  It was destroyed in the first Roberts fire in the 1870's.  Another bank was built but this time it faced to the north and was fronted on Green Street.

L. E. Bressie


--"Let's Talk About Roberts."  Larry Knilands & Jean Fox.