Thursday, June 21, 2018

Foster Home


This was noted on the Roberts Illinois History Group Facebook page by Susan Kathleen Foster Nelson (June 2018):

"This is Martha Jeanette Clark Foster's home . . . eventually unmarried daughters, Leda and Martha Foster lived here.  These three are the women in the photo.  Several of Martha Foster's children continued to live in her home with her.  After my GGF's divorce, he lived with his mother, as did one of his older brothers.  Martha Jeanette Clark Foster died in 1908.  She gave birth to 13 children, but the last 4 died at birth or as a toddler.  Eliab was first married to Martha's older sister, Jane Rebecca Clark, and they had three children, whom Martha raised along with her own.  Leda died in 1950, & Martha died in 1934, and my GGF died in 1942.  I would imagine the home changed ownership around 1950."

Also posted to the same page from Alyesha H. Leroy (June 2018):

"That is the Martha Jeanette Clark Foster home, as my cousin Susan Kathleen Foster Nelson said.  That addition to the back held a kitchen with a coal/wood burning cook stove.  There was no running water, not even a pump, when my mother visited there in the 1920's. The other room held a loom, which my mother believed her aunts used to weave rugs.

I think this is the Gene and Mary Schuler home on North Street.  More research needed.

No comments: