Thursday, June 14, 2018

Roberts Photo

While doing my Lyman Township in the Civil War research I logged into Ancestry.com to look for additional information. I found an email address for Barbarba Leroy on the site (a contributer to the Ruedger family), and I contacted her. Right away she responded with pictures, stories, etc. She has done much research on the Ruedger, Gurrad, Foster, and Clark family in the Roberts area. She sent me this photo of downtown Roberts. I have not seen this perspective in such an old photo. You can see the church steeples in the background, and I believe also a sign for possibly the Colteaux Restaurtant and Lunch Room. I am not sure what the building is at the far side of the photo near the large windmill. With all the men standing around (and it looks like one may have a sheriff's badge on his jacket), I wonder if this photo also was taken at the time of the fire in 1894 that destroyed the south side of Main/Green Street.  The original is photo #1 and those following are just enlargements/zooms of the original.
Isn't it a great photo? Thank you for sharing with us Barb.


No comments: