Sunday, January 08, 2017

Early Days in Lyman #9

EARLY DAYS IN THE TOWN OF LYMAN
by Bela Foster

Continuing . . .
Chis'r Anderson came here in 1866.
 

Christopher Anderson.
--Picture from Jean Fox.
 
He lived a long distance from our place. It must have been one and one-half miles.
 
 
--1901 Lyman Township Plat
 
He was a young man then about twenty-five years of age. I remember seeing him shortly after he came here. He had two small girls with him. They looked like twins. Had they not been with him I think I would not have remembered seeing him. We had a pet crow and they were afraid of it. The girls names were Eupheme and Elizabeth Muir.
I suppose that Mr. Anderson did more for this community than any other of the early settlers, in aiding the people and helping them to pull through the stressing times. His method of dealing with men strengthened them instead of making dependents of them. Many owe their success to Mrs. Anderson and others who encouraged them to move onward and upward.
William Graham was the first teacher in school district No. 5, (now 40). He barely reached manhood when he was called to his reward. He was the first Mason to be laid to rest in Lyman Cemetery.

 
District No. 5 (now 40) would be the school in the village of Roberts. 
William Graham.  Died 12 December 1872.  Aged 22 Years.  Note the Mason symbol on his stone. 

E. B. Beighle came here in 1869. He came to Paxton by rail. Then completed the journey by mud and water. He had a hard time fording the streams and detouring around ponds. His family did much in church and school work.



--1884 Lyman Township Plat


I found this photo on Ancestry.com.  I believe it is the Beighle home.  And I think that is E. B. Beighle standing near the front entrance.  This home would have been on the Thawville blacktop just off of 115. The 1948 plat says John Rock owns the property.  Who is John Rock?  I am going to post on FB to see if anyone remembers the home of John Rock.  Research. Mr. Beighle was a veteran of the Civil War.

 No man in this township did more to make me what I am than E. T. Havens. After my brother went out to work and left me to work the farm Mr. Havens was my harvest partner. We worked together for the interest of each. He was a Christian man all the way through. It was a pleasure to work beside him. He was one of the mainstays of the Thawville Congregational Church and was Sunday School superintendent for many years. He was also school teacher in the early days. Mr. Havens died about seventeen years ago. Mrs. Havens died this winter. Through Mr. and Mrs. Havens I learned much about the early settlers.
Taylor John, John Lyman, and Lyman Peck ran a threshing outfit here at one time. The names were an odd combination. I knew them all.


Roberts Herald. 8 May 1935. Bela Foster.

No comments: