Friday, April 24, 2020

Mae Roberts Home

--Posted by Dawn Roberts Janov to the Roberts Illinois History Group Facebook Page.  April 2020.
Mae Roberts, my Grandmother’s house, 115 S. Main, Roberts. It was white when I was a child.
 
Notes:  Current readers will remember this as the home of the Poplett family. John William Roberts grew up in this home.
 
--Posted by Dawn Roberts Janov to the Roberts Illinois History Group Facebook Page.  September 2019. 
Can anyone recognize or identify these people? I only know my grandmother, Mae Roberts, far left, the gangly girl in the center is me, my cute sister, Marilynn is next to me.
From the summer of 1948. My sister age 6, and I aged ten, spent the summer in Roberts, Illinois, with my grandmother Mae Roberts at 115 S. Main Street. In 1936 my dad, John W. Roberts and mother Jewell Martin Roberts ran the creamery in Roberts. I loved to listen to their storys. My mother worked as a waitress at the Hicks Cafe at the Hicks gas station near Roberts. As a young man, my dad had an ice delivery service to many of the homeowners in Roberts. That’s when every kitchen had an ice box.

Notes:  Identified on the RIH Facebook Page:  William Poplett, striped shirt to the left and his wife Dorothy Poplett, dark hair in the middle of the photo in striped dress.

No comments: